Thursday 2 May 2013

Michael Jackson

Sunny and very warm, just in time for a Bank Holiday weekend cruise. Today marked a milestone health-wise. My private consultation was an outstanding success and well worth whatever it cost. The consultant was almost human and not only spoke with and to me, but also actually listened. No bar codes tolerated. The hospital reception desk resembled a Hilton Hotel whilst the waiting room boasted padded armchairs and a coffee/tea machine with real china cups and saucers plus stainless steel cutlery. The magazines were up-to-date and of high quality, none of the usual "Hello" and "Saga" types. Unusually he gave me a very thorough medical once-over, reviewed my lifetime illnesses and health related experiences before giving some straight answers and advice. My vacant/dizzy spells are actual mini epilepsy fits and despite whatever drugs I take they will continue, the aim being to restrict the frequency. Eventually I will need an operation but in the meantime "normal" life should continue, providing I wear a lifebelt whilst on the boat. My car driving days are certainly over. He will write to my GP to advise on changing my epilepsy drugs (hopefully to one with less side-effects) and also recommends phasing out the happy pills, which certainly pleases me. Despite the lack of good news I walked out feeling a million miles high. My next appointment with him will be on the NHS in Leicester. We had lunch at the Stensen lock cafe, served by Marian with a smile. What is it they say about very young babies? Was that a smile or wind? The swans have built a pathetic "nest" next to the cafe. The worst choice of site if ever there was one. The only plus point being it is not a Polish cafe. The Sky man (memories of David Bowie?) visited the boat again this afternoon to investigate our lack of TV reception. By the time he left some sort of service was resumed, but we only offered to see if it continues working over the weekend otherwise he will need to remove his gear and refund our expenditure. Sitting on the back of Tardis Two in brilliant sunshine reminded me I only have to sit next to a lit candle to attain a deep suntan. By the end of the summer I should resemble one of those Spanish beach Pedalo "assistants". A sort of Michael Jackson in reverse. As I will be boating over the weekend life will be blog-less for a while. Have a good time in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment