Sunday 7 June 2015

Another tunnel end light

Moored a couple of bends away from Blissford tunnel, as were a number of other boats, I had expected an old fashioned Le Mans motor racing start following the instruction to "start engines".
In the event things were far from hectic as boat "waking times" varied greatly. Even our's was far later than normal as the cat behaved herself as did the boiler timer controls and the battery power, plus outside temperatures were much nearer "normal" for the time of year.
Blissford tunnel is very wide, tall and mainly dry, with the exception of several ventilation shafts which catch you by surprise from time to time .
Our friend Sue's condition has worsened so we need to make a decision on continuing our journey or returning home ASAP.
I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to deaths and/or funerals so rather than me compound the situation by returning home early it was decided to continue on our travels pending further developments when we may be nearer, so I found myself playing lock keeper on the 7 Stoke Bruern double locks for Lynne and a frightfully nice guy Lynne befriended operating "Calypso" solo to London. 
They were extremely tough locks to operate and the day got hotter,which didn't help much. Before we filled with water after the final lock Calypso and Tardis Two parted company and we moored for a badly delayed injection and a lunch break in full sun.
Things went badly downhill from there (not the canal, obviously, but my mental and physical condition). I fell asleep for an hour or two, which meant any progress on our journey had to be curtailed for the day. I woke Lynne and an interesting "discussion" took place regarding my mental and physical condition, which we both agreed is not good at present. I thought our progress over the past few days had contributed, largely due to the "lock partners"  encountered, all of whom had no concept of our age, physical prowess,medical conditions or intended rate of progress Gradually as physica exhaustion had crept up on me, mentally I struggled to accept my obvious limitations of age, hip condition, balance and diabetes control. I fully accept I need urgent medical and mental assistance, but how? We are at least 10 boating days from home. Even if We get a taxi home (which is possible) how do we get Tardis Two back?  Leave her in a close Marina and collect her later?
Inevitably,the aforementioned solution (being mine) was rejected and we are turning for home. Kill or cure?

No comments:

Post a Comment