Tuesday 25 October 2016

The rowers return



I made my October 23rd rowing deadline, and had 3 volunteers to form a quad crew. It was very cold and misty. We managed a smooth kilometre  before I gained a pain in my right hip , restricting my stroke timing until it became too severe to continue. A few minutes and yards later I suffered a right dead leg. My gallant crew managed to get the boat and me back to the boathouse. I needed all hands available to get me out of the boat. Not the most elegant of exits,it has to be said. My leg became fully
functional by the time Lynne and I limped from  boat to the boathouse, a distance of perhaps 10 yards.
Since then I have only suffered a dull ache in my right hip, but overall I was elated at being back on the water. Too early perhaps?
I have emailed my gallant crew personally to thank them for their help and patience. Lynne and I returned to Reading to discover the boiler had packed up, so no hot showers or heating.
From there we headed to  Manchester to commence a few days of cat sitting for Joel and Sophie, only  to discover they too had no heating, but at least the shower worked. 
We sat watching theTV wrapped in a duvet and attempted to solve the riddle of storage radiators. I had  a relaxing hot shower and awoke in the morning to a warm living room. Oh, joy. 
Their young cat quickly alternates between flat -out action and sleep. Good fun though.


No comments:

Post a Comment