Sunday 23 June 2013

Out of town

The near hurricane remained in place overnight but fortunately the boat did the same. The mystery of battery power shortages was eventually traced to the shoreline switch being left on (by whom?). Nothing lost, apart from battery power, soon to be rectified by an hour or two of cruising. Having set off in the aforementioned hurricane I was just contemplating donning my Woolley hat and gloves when another boater passed wearing a tee shirt, shorts, socks and sandals ! (Male). Socks and sandals.... How middle class. You see all sights on a canal. We stopped for lunch at a pub called The Wharf which serves excellent food and also has a general store and a launderette on-site. Interestingly it also lets double rooms by the hour. Who said Oxfordshire is stuffy? As I write this at 2.00 pm the sun has put in an appearance but the high wind remains. We aim to top-up the depleted batteries by cruising for another couple of hours before mooring somewhat earlier than yesterday, subject to site availability. Lots of friends and relatives laughed when we first outlined our live aboard plans, saying we would drive each other nuts ( more nuts?) spending 24/7 together in such a confined space. I have always been happy in my own company, whereas Lynne had a wide circle of friends. Looking after me 24 hours a day was hard enough when I was just diabetic, but the tumour and associated drugs have multiplied the problems 10-fold, so I am acutely aware I need to be understanding of the pressure she is under, in addition to the totally new lifestyle. I am also acutely aware, and reminded, this is my dream, my adventure.
The early summer blaze of canal bank colour is now starting to diminish as the yellow irises, the pink foxgloves, white cow parsley, pink/white hawthorn and dog roses start turning to seed. Farmland is smothered in lurid yellow rape interspersed with red poppies. Stinging nettles and wild rhododendrons are about to flower and the pale green tree leaves of spring are already darkening. Eat your heart out, Monty Dom.
By 4.30 pm we are moored  before a set of 5 locks which we hope to tackle in the morning. Moisture has joined forces with the wind to produce horizontal rain. No incidents or boat names worthy of mention today.
The title is one of those annoying"stick in your head songs". But worse, I can only guess what it is called. I think it is from the musical Oklahoma and goes something like:" say what you will, the countryside is still the only place I can settle down, dum dumpy dum dum,dum dumpy dum dum, out of town". Any offers?

1 comment: