Tuesday 18 June 2013

Ridiculous to sublime

Following yesterday's frenetic assault on the Guinness book of records longest canal journey today was much more relaxed. We had a leisurely breakfast followed by a leisurely cruise to Polesworth, a leisurely lunch and another leisurely cruise to Atherstone locks, with a short leisurely break to take-on water, dump rubbish and empty the all-important cassettes. Rather than tackle the formidable locks before bed we opted for an early dinner, and  
an early morning assault after a good nights sleep. By early I mean before lunch. It's tough this retirement lark. After several days of re-familiarising myself with canal manners I am forced to make a sexist remark about female owner/drivers who have proven themselves to be over-forceful and rude. Yesterday one barged (excuse the pun) Lynne into overhanging trees at full speed and passed with a sickly grin over her face. Later another played chicken with me over who was to get through a narrow bridge first from opposite directions. Being the gentleman that I am I gave way and allowed her through with no damage to bridge, boats or life, for which I received no thanks and an equally sickly grin. We'll check-over the locks this evening and plan tomorrows leisurely strategy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment