Thursday 26 March 2015

Friends & Family

A drizzly, damp day. Lynne has gone for a facial makeover at a beauty parlour in Glenfield, a rather touching Mother's Day gift voucher from the family. I opted to stay home as a windswept, wet walk around Glenfield whilst waiting for Lynne , had little appeal.
The time spent at home gave ample opportunity for comparisons between friends and family relationships.
My best friend for over 40 years lived in York for most of that period and subsequently Leeds, having first met at a horticultural college in St. Albans. Despite the 200 mile distance between us he has always appeared at my home or hospital bedside whenever a crisis arose.  I have done the same for him and between-times we regularly communicate by telephone or "social media". It is a mutually supportive arrangement based on love and respect.
My Mother used to say we can choose friends but not families, which I guess explains why the relationship rules differ so much. 
By sheer chance I belatedly learnt my last remaining relatives were staying with mutual friends in Burton, 40 minutes away and much,much closer to Stensen Marina, where we were yesterday. As we had a few hours spare in the afternoon we thought it would be a good opportunity to swop news and check on the health of our mutual friend who is currently suffering with what I call NHS maladies. Where have I heard that before?
It was good to swop stories and meet up again, although the issues of not arranging to meet at a local cafe or the National Arboretum, even more local and a good day out, were sadly and regrettably  ignored.
Life goes on, as does the hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment