Wednesday 22 July 2015

Aquatic spectator

EThe forecast was for a warm, dry morning with rain threatened for the afternoon, so we made another early start and made very good progress to Tamworth, only stopping to purchase butter at a canal side Tesco Express in Amington, the shop being it's only redeeming feature. At Glascote locks the Water tap is on the lay- by for lock one, where we stopped for a re-fill. I went to fill the lock whilst Lynne dealt with the water. Another boat queued behind us mistaking us for the lock queue but the tap was very slow so Lynne waved him through, whilst I opened and closed the lock gate  for him. Lynne then left Tardis Two and went to assist the other boat by emptying the lock for his exit, without telling me. Thus on my return to our boat I found the water tank overflowing but no one aboard or in sight, so I turned off the tap and started to replace the boat tank plug, only to topple off the stern, canal-side , and my life jacket sprang into life allowing me to swim to the bank where a boater managed to literally drag me ashore, taking care to avoid further damage to my bad leg, by which time Lynne had reappeared and it had started raining, not that I had noticed, of course. Having assessed my condition I  jumped aboard, thanked my rescuer, stripped off and leapt into a hot shower, having first removed my wound bandage. Later inspection revealed no further physical damage, although pride scars will remain for a while. I felt such a twit. 
Lynne then got us through the two locks with generous help from other boaters, one of whom later fell in himself !  Dry, warmed and sustained by coffee and a sandwich we moored later to watch it rain  for the afternoon and were met by Karen and Steve doing the Leicester ring in an attempt to avoid a collapsed lock at Gallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment