Thursday 16 July 2015

GUC/Oxford/Coventry canals

It rained most of last night and the ducks constantly pecked the algae off the boat hull, sounding like a cross between a rivet gun and the old western telegraph system. To add insult to injury one spent several minutes this morning running (waddling) up and down the roof, but we didn't care.
The good news is our new batteries performed brilliantly. If we had one we would have cracked a bottle of champagne for breakfast. The relief is palpably evident, verging on the ecstatic. Johno spent last night working out our bill and comparing notes with another electrics expert which resulted in a recommendation to increase our batteries by one, which has still to arrive,as has the bill,but nothing can spoil the moment, believe me. So we have finally settled on 4 domestic batteries instead of 5 or 3, but quite frankly I Couldn't give a damn so long as everything works as it should.
Once the bill is dealt with we are off on familiar territory heading "home", which should take a week or so,depending on how much we enjoy using a boat with full performance.
After the Grand Union the Oxford seems at least 60% smaller,including the locks which are strangely single but in parallel, if that makes any sense? Effectively a boat can go up whilst another goes down an adjacent lock. Saves water and time I guess. The lock gates are the size and weight of Lego. The last of the Hillmorton locks I managed to fall in whilst helping a little old lady with her parallel lock as Lynne cruised out of the adjoining one going the other way. Ironically the little old lady helped the lock keeper fish me out !  I emerged somewhat wet and fully clothed, including keeping my hat fully dry. I was helped to our boat, where I stripped and showered. A quick inspection revealed a badly grazed right shin, a black and bruised right index finger and a bruised right elbow. The lock keeper called a para-medic, who arrived very quickly and patched me up as you can see. The bruised finger is the most painful but I'll survive.


No comments:

Post a Comment