Thursday 11 April 2013

Naval insurance & more

After yesterday's almost spring-like weather today returned to the cold, dismal offering we've become used to. Acting on my cunning plan to camp outside my doctor's consulting room I was surprised to be offered an emergency appointment at 12.30 pm, which I gladly accepted even though it interfered with my boat visiting plans. In the event my doctor was running almost an hour late when I arrived (on-time). Having studied the email from my neurologist she was equally amazed he had asked her to make the decision regarding changing my anti-seizure drug. She wondered why expert neurologists are used by all GP's to advise them on treatments for relevant patients when in this case it has been transferred back to her. What's the point of having them at considerable expense to the NHS? She suggested I stay on my present drug at current dosages for a further 3 weeks, keeping a diary of events, which she will review having revised the affects of brain tumours and treatments in the meantime. My neurologist is new to the hospital, temporarily filling the vacancy left by the old one, in whom I had complete faith. Staff at the hospital confirmed the new one had been top student in his field at Cambridge university. Given their performance in the 2013 boat race it is no surprise he seems a bit slow and unable to make a decision without having a safety net, in this case an unfortunate GP who freely admits her tumour knowledge and experience is small. After several weeks of blissful peace and quiet,the naval insurance company sent a letter (yes, a letter, in writing on paper), stating I owe them £59 for no explained reason. I wrote back, telling them what to do with their letter and the non-explained payment request. In true Naval tradition another letter arrived today as a "final warning", again requesting immediate payment, but again not explaining the reason. I phoned them along the lines of my last letter and the poor flunky on the end of the line quietly apologised and promised the matter is now closed. Watch this space. We re-visited TARDIS TWO, armed with yet more belongings and the bedroom blinds, one of which we managed to mount before returning to our on-land home. It looks great. We will have to mount the other two tomorrow if we are to sleep aboard prior to setting sail Saturday morning. Hopefully the weather will improve by then, otherwise we'll have to dig-out the woolly hats and gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment