Wednesday 27 November 2013

Carry on nurse

At long last, my first chemo and radiotherapy. It was a traumatic experience for both Lynne and I. Without any scope for contradiction we can officially confirm Leicester Royal Infirmary is crap.   Patients confirm it, hospital staff admit it. Who am I to argue?   They could not organise the proverbial in a brewery, which does little to raise my confidence. We arrived on time for our 11.15 doctors appointment and were eventually seen at 12.30 with the reception staff recommending we never arrive on time in future. Point taken.  The asst. oncologist greeted me with "what are you doing here? " to which I replied " You tell me and we'll both know." He explained the proposed combination of chemo and radiotherapy is "unusual" but nothing to worry about, which again raised my confidence. He continued to explain the aim of stopping my tumour growing further and some of the side-effects likely to be encountered, again failing to raise my hopes.  Our next extremely long wait was for the pharmacist to supply the chemo pills, which appeared at 16.30.      One of these must be taken daily on an empty stomach half an hour prior to radiotherapy, which must be completed within the following hour.         Still with me?           We got home at 19.00. Enough said.   The staff were most apologetic and generally embarrassed. Lynne was in tears and I was close to the end of my tether.   Radiotherapy is 5 days per week so we are returning tomorrow,  hopefully in a better frame of mind. During my treatment I was enertertained by Blondies' greatest hits, all four of them. Staff have offered to play my own Cd's in future.
I left my wheelchair in the car but suffered for it by the end of the day, but hopefully the exercise will help my leg ultimately.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions on getting my new pain patches to stick to my hairy parts, requested yesterday, which generally involved waxing or tweezers. I would need the pain patches after both exercises. !!!!!
Roll-on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment